|Department of Counselling and Psychology Course Outline|
|Course Title||Alternate Approaches to Counselling and Psychotherapy|
|Number of Credits||3|
|Duration of Weeks||15|
|Contact Hours Per Week||2 hours Lecture; 1 hour Tutorial|
Having been firmly grounded in psychology and exposed to the theories, techniques and skills in counselling, students are ready to have their horizons broadened by being introduced to the creative and sometimes unconventional approaches to counselling and psychotherapy. These approaches may be used either as complements to a predominantly verbal orientation or as the primary therapeutic methods in dealing with clients of all ages in a variety of settings such as schools, hospitals, social service agencies and mental health centres.
The approaches covered in this course include: Psychodrama, Transactional Analysis, Art Therapy. The course aims at offering students a wealth of practicing resources.
|Course Intended Learning Outcomes (CILOS)||
After completing the course, students should be able to:
1. describe the development of contemporary creative and alternative approaches to counselling and psychotherapy;
2. identify specific expressive alternative approaches in counselling and psychotherapy;
3. apply the skills through participating a set of facilitating activities which are designed based on the scientific psychological knowledge of different approaches;
4. assess the applicability of these approaches to different clients in a variety of settings, particularly Chinese and other Asian clients;
5. distinguish between the alternate approaches that they can use in different situations and articulate the theories and techniques involved; and
6. reflect themselves as individuals and as members of a social group, society or culture through these different approaches.
|For Reference Only
© 2020 Department of Counselling & Psychology, Hong Kong Shue Yan University