Master of Social Sciences in Play Therapy (September 2022 Cohort) is now open for application.
Master of Social Sciences in Play Therapy (MSScPT) is a new programme offered by the Department of Counselling and Psychology starting from September 2022. The programme is a professional degree that qualifies graduates for becoming qualified play therapists.
The programme is designed to:
1. provide students with a critical understanding of the core theories underlying the practice of play therapy, including their historical development, as well as the current state of knowledge in the field;
2. develop students’ expertise and critical awareness of childhood needs addressed by play therapy, including mental health, special educational needs, well-being and physical health, and social and psychological development;
3. train competent practitioners who can effectively use play therapy skills with a critical understanding of their evidence base;
4. contribute to the development of culturally relevant theory and its application, and to conduct research into play therapy in the context of Hong Kong.
1st round of application:
Deadline for Application: 8th May, 2022
Interview Day: 27th & 28th May 2022
Release of Results: 15th June 2022
2nd round of application (depends on the availability of places):
Deadline for Application: 20th June, 2022
Interview Day: 25th June, 2022
Release of Results: 11th July, 2022
Click the link below to access the online application:
A completed application shall consist of the following documents:
- Application form (pdf version/ doc version)
(which include "Passport size photo", "Autobiographical Statement" and "Promotion Survey")
- A Photocopy of HKID Card/Passport
- An application fee of HK$200 by crossed-cheque to "HONG KONG SHUE YAN UNIVERSITY" (fees paid are not refundable)
- Photocopies of degree certificates
- Official transcripts are to be sent from post-secondary institutions/universities attended
Please send this form (Transcript Request Form (pdf version/ doc version) to your appropriate officer of institution from which the transcript is requested. SYU graduates need not request transcripts from the Registry, copies of past results will suffice.
- A photocopy of each professional qualification obtained as stated on the application form
- 2 signed and sealed Referee Reports (pdf version/ doc version)
Please kindly visit our website if you would like to know more about the Master of Social Sciences in Play Therapy.
For any inquiry, please contact us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
HKSYU & HKAPT signed 3-year memorandum for their coming collaboration
On April 9th 2022, three representatives from the Hong Kong Academy of Play Therapy (HKAPT), Mr. Lau Ping Hei, Ms. Debbie Chong, and Ms. Lilli Ngai visited Hong Kong Shue Yan University. Mr. Lau Ping Hei introduced the mission of HKAPT, including professional training and community work in promoting play therapy, as well as plans for the organization in future. Dr. Tom Yuen, the president of HKAPT, and his assistant, Ms. Wing Leung joined the meeting from Canada, via Zoom. Dr. Yuen expressed his excitement that the Master of Social Sciences in Play Therapy (MSScPT ) will commence in September, 2022 as the first locally developed master level programme in play therapy. Members of the department extended their thanks to the precious advice of Dr. Tom Yuen and Dr. Timothy Leung in the programme preparation stage, and introduced the mission and the structure of the new master programme. Mr. LAU Ping Hei and Dr. Alex Li representing the two organizations, signed a three-year memorandum of understanding concerning membership, play therapist registration and other future collaboration. Both Hong Kong Shue Yan University (HKSYU)and Hong Kong Academy of Play Therapy (HKAPT)were excited about the long-term close collaboration ahead.
Dr. Alex LI’s research on the aftereffect of time adaptation with repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation
Project: Is time perception band-pass filtered? An examination of the aftereffect of time adaptation with rTMS
Funding scheme: Faculty Development Scheme, Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector (2020/2021), Research Grants Council
Funding awarded: HK$944,962
Principal Investigator: Dr. LI Wang-on, Alex (Head, Department of Counselling and Psychology)
Funding period: 24 months