|Department of Counselling Psychology Course outline|
|Programme||Master of Social Sciences in Psychology|
|Course Title||Abnormal Psychology|
|Number of Credits||3|
|Duration of Weeks||13|
|Contact Hours Per Week||Lecture 2 hour ; Tutorial 1 hours|
This course aims to provide students with a background understanding of abnormal psychology through introducing the specific signs and symptoms associated with various psychopathological states. More specifically, a range of contemporary thinking and research as well as different traditional models concerning the diagnosis, aetiology, treatment, and prevention of psychopathology will be introduced.
|Course Intended Learning Outcomes (CILOS)||
After completing this course, students will be able to:
1. identify the essential features, symptoms, as well as the prognosis, and potential treatment associated with various psychopathological disorders;
2. review critically and utilise scientific research evidence that is available concerning the epidemiology, aetiology and treatment of the mental disorders in question;
3. examine critically various attempts made by the theorists and researchers to understand the causes of the disorders and the factors maintaining the disorders;
4. discuss critically the complexity of mental disorders, and the interactions of neurophysiological, psychodynamic, developmental, cognitive-behavioural and sociocultural factors with regard to the causation and treatment of various mental disorders;
5. demonstrate sensitivity and awareness of the possibility of abnormal propensity of individuals while taking into consideration the cultural context.
For Reference Only
© 2020 Department of Counselling & Psychology, Hong Kong Shue Yan University